Re: [xml-dev] what's missing in XML? What's coming?

True but it also means some new very large, complex and expensive
documents can not use XSD.  I'm not defending Entity Declarations per
se, but the combinations of these, character entities and all the
problems of ensuring these can be handled by the enterprise software
do become onerous.

A tech pubs world where the XML never sees the web or a browser and
the documents are long lived and very slow (real publishing) seems to
be increasingly willing to lag behind.

It may be inevitable that XML becomes not just markup on the web, but
only markup on the web, meaning it may be time for military technical
publishing to reconsider it's early adopter commitments to markup.  It
takes years to create and publish the guidance documents, the XSD is
barely documented despite being hundreds of pages long, making
substantial post-validation contributions and creating layouts,
resolving references, etc. vital to follow-on products (say, Class III
and IV IETMs).   Enterprises with very large networks of users who are
also adopting new media distribution devices (say handyPhones) have to
consider cost benefits.

len