book for beginners

Does anyone have any book recommendations for a beginner student which
covers the *fundamentals* of xml validation and processing?  Bearing
in mind I guess that people would have different ideas of what is
fundamental.  I would think a good overview should touch upon DTDs,
W3C Xml Schema, RelaxNg, Schematron, NVDL, Xpath, Xslt, Xquery, XProc.
 Maybe this list is too long.  Maybe it is missing something vital.
Would be nice also to include something on the different homes and
genesis of these things - W3C, OASIS, ISO - that students understand
that specifications are not found in nature ...

Thanks
Bob