Re: [xml-dev] what's missing in XML? What's coming?

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
[oops, I don't think this went out, sorry if it's a duplicate]

The answer might lie in some other syntax; I don't think John Cowan's
utf8+names proposal is practical, and adding the entities to XML would
encourage creation of documents that would break on existing parsers (as
would allowing errors in documents - sorry Henri).

Upside-down: these are documents which currently break on existing parsers, and it would be good if they didn't.

Whether it is utf-8+names or xml1.2  or some default mode for parsers that could be enabled or disabled, the
choice should be the data providers: just like now, if they want to use iso8859-1 encoding, the user (data provider)
is the best person to decide the tradeoffs of another system not being able to handle it. Not committees trying
to keep the world pure!