Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

On 01/02/12 17:29, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com
> <mailto:mike@saxonica.com>> wrote:
[...]
>     No, XML Schema is far worse, it's a que-perfecto �ber-spec that sees
>     lots of practical use.
>
> Interestingly, Michael, I think you are one of the exceedingly rare
> people who put WXS to practical use, and I've always been in awe of your
> capacity to do so. I think that 95% of WXS use is not practical at all,
> but rather sheer busy-work.
>
> Of course that's just my blinkered anecdotal perspective, but I can't
> tell you how many times I've been got on a project and they proudly say
> "here's our schema!!!!!" and dump a full ream of useless, inscrutable
> xsd:alphabetSoup that no one really even comes close to understanding,
> and thus gets ignored throughout most of their actual processing.

I have lost count of the projects whose first task was to strip all
namespaces and cut the XSD down to a DTD representing only the element
types that were actually used. In only a few cases have I been able to
persuade them to do the modelling in RNG and recreate a minimally
workable Schema. But this is solid text-document XML, with more
character data content than markup :-)

///Peter