Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

On 01/02/12 16:53, Pete Cordell wrote:
> Ignorance is a very acceptable excuse in IMO. Talking to computers was a
> very ASCII affair in those days (e.g. C) and it would seem reasonable
> that computers would talk to computers in the same way.
>
> My recollection is that for those of us who weren't Internationalisation
> gurus, choosing Latin-1 was considered really pushing the
> Internationalisation boat out!

There was certainly an element of that at the time. But a lot of the
effort was really on the traditional basis of rough consensus and
running code. A lot of this stuff was still relatively new, and only a
few people were thinking of non-European or non-Latin-alphabet languages.

And I see that Unicode added another 700-odd characters to the
repertoire recently...

///Peter