Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

 >Soften it a little and consider IBM (I believe: Len? Michael?) who
were building a precursor to what would eventually become the
foundations of Latin-1. Right down somewhere near the bottom right-hand
corner came the ΓΏ (yuml) character, which is used in French, and mostly
in the names of some towns, but so rarely that even some French people
are unaware of it, as I discovered when I asked some French LaTeX
typesetters.

I believe that the main influence on ECMA-72 which became Latin-1 which
became iso-8859-1 was actually DEC Multinational, developed for the
vt220 terminal; though a couple of characters were substituted.

The way in which these decisions are made would be a fascinating study.
I heard a tale that the IBM PC keyboard layout was dreamt up by a fairly
junior engineer with no knowledge either of the years of effort to
standardise keyboard layouts or of the extensive ergonomic and usability
studies designed to maximize the performance of keyboard users. The
resulting lost productivity must be costing us billions.

But then, someone has to decide. The Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans had
been arguing for years about how to code ideographic characters, and in
the end Xerox and a few Californian friends decided to tell them the
answer. My friends in Japan told me they did such a bad job that it
would never catch on, but they made the same mistake I have so often
made myself - bad things do catch on.

Michael Kay
Saxonica