Re: [xml-dev] functional databases noodling ...

James Fuller scripsit:

>      * how valid is it to say 'xquery is a functional
> programming/query language' ? I think 3.0 makes this statement true

Certainly the query and transformation languages of the SGML/XML tradition
have been functional languages right back to DSSSL, the spiritual
ancestor of XSLT 1.0.  Whether they count as "programming languages"
is essentially a dick-measuring contest:  "Ho!  Your puny language does
not count.  It is not worthy of the great name of 'Programming Language'
as applied by our sacred ancestors of the Fortran totem.  We will call
it a 'query language' or 'scripting language' or some other term that
denotes its wimpy, uncool, second-class status.  Ho-ho!"

>      * is it possible that we could rename xml databases (who have
> xquery) into 'functional database' especially if they employ XQuery
> 3.0

I'd say no.  I was going to say, until Michael posted, that there are
no functional databases, but evidently IRIS is one.

--
John Cowan    <cowan@ccil.org>     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.