RE: A tool that takes an XML document of points as input and plotsthe points on a graph and connects the dots?

Google Visualization can do this easily.  but it wants Google Proprietary JSON ...

I have a project I checked in here which is an XQuery implementation of a Google Data Source which can take XML input and produce the pseudo-JSON that Google requires to chart/plot data.
Currently implemented for MarkLogic but most of the code is generic XQuery and could easily be ported to any XQuery app server.
Sorry its low on documentation ... contributions welcome _! (in both code and docs and samples)

http://code.google.com/p/xqgraph/

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org