Re: [xml-dev] What does "optional" mean?

Thanks Michael.  Some comments not necessarily aimed in your direction
as I am sure this doesn't happen in your work.

It's a challenge to manage an environment in which there are many and
sometimes confusing options as is the case with the mil-tech-pubs DTDs
given editors and authors who believe they have correctly created a
document, hand it off to the XML staff to tag only to have the XML
staff tell them their document as offered isn't valid although it
looks nice and maybe resembles a document they've used in the past.
Given multiple authorities on both the author and customer side
offering requirements, parameterization looks attractive but it also
seems to relocate the decisions without simplifying the system.

More options; more decisions.  Now the XSD is parameterizing,
contributing content, resetting elements, etc. and the discussion of
what the author provide but the schema allows or disallows gets even
more computer-sciency and difficult to explain to the
Word-Wu-li-Masters.  The schema turns into an analog of a relational
table design and documents don't actually work as tables.  A
pararmeterized object with explicit and immutable scope seems more
appropriate but locks out options (a proper object, that is, mostly
private with explicit public interfaces).  IOW, a system that isolates
away the noise sources implying that the looseness leading to the
challenge cited above can't happen.

But that's not XML.

It seems we'd be migrating toward the kind of schema John Cowan
describes where everything is optional with a higher/orthogonal means
of restricting productions controlled by ??? and while that isn't
unrealistic, I'm not sure it helps to reduce complexity in the social
network.  Optionality is a problem not simply because there are real
and numerous requirements, but because not enough or the right people
agree on what they are.

An unholy percentage of effort is expended finding an authority that
can say or no and it sticks for longer than a single deliverable.
Optional in this case means, once again, finding the right "selector"
(not a CSS term in this use).

len