Re: [xml-dev] What does "optional" mean?

On Feb 26, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

> >BTW, as further illustration that data elements shouldn't be considered mandatory or optional independently of context
>
> This notion of "context" makes schema design really difficult, because most schema languages (Schematron as usual being the exception) don't have any notion that validity can depend upon context. For example, certain metadata is mandatory in a document that you are sending out to customers, but optional if it's a draft being distributed internally for approval.

Depends on the notion of "context" being used.  What I said was that "it's not specific attributes or elements *by themselves* that are either mandatory or optional, it's *in the context of that data structure* that they are mandatory or optional".   But I wasn't thinking in terms of parameterized declarations within a single schema.  What I had in mind was that an element might be mandatory in the data structure described by one schema, but not in a data structure described by another schema. The "context" is the environment in which the element is being used.  If, say, there are differences in metadata required by drafts and that required by the final product, you could have different schemas for drafts and for final products.