Re: [xml-dev] Is "visible" a part of the data? Toward the day whenthe data is the program

On Mar 11, 2012 9:39 AM, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Have I persuaded you that "visible" should be part of my architectural plan document? If not, what is my argument missing, where has my argument run astray?

No, you are confusing document state with authorization.  You have two
roles for your document: creator and viewer.  You have two states:
draft and published.  Who get's to see what is dependent on their role
and the state of the document.  "Visible" is one small part of the
authorizations attached to a given role. At best it makes some sense
to embed the state of the document in the document (as metadata).  The
matrix of what role has what authorization is probably also dependent
on context the document is being used in at any given moment, so I
doubt there is ever a valid reason to embed the state / role matrix in
the document; there could be many of them...