RE: [xml-dev] RNG vs. XSD : is the use of abstract types and polymorphism a good or bad thing for schemas for XML?

That kind of separation seems logical, particularly in the context of
maintaining the ontology separately, whilst the XML Schemas are manually
kept in sync with the ontology.

Other contexts however do exist:
Imagine an UML ontology which is making good use of abstract classes and
inheritance. Suitable tools can translate UML and generate the XML library
schema components (similar to OASIS UBL's CBC and CAC library schemas). The
generated library components mirror the UML inheritance and abstract
classes. On the other hand, the actual XML document schemas, which are
composed by cherry picking from the XML library components, are not allowed
to define new abstract types or new inheritances.
Such governed use of inheritance and abstract types is almost invisible when
looking at a document schema (good for users), yet provides benefits in
component library structure and use.
For example, document schemas can include the automatically embedded
documentation containing the plain text definition of the UML class
attribute, some of which happen to be inherited attributes.

Just to add a different perspective.

Juerg
www.d-m-s.co.nz

XML