Deployability of XMLised HTML - authoritative survey? [redux]

Hi

I understand from anecdotal reports and my own experiments that it is
possible to get most (recent?) browsers to sensibly interpret and render
well formed XML that "looks a lot like" HTML. With much of HTML, this is
just a matter of matching case and closing </LI> etc. The treatment of
HTML's <HR> and <BR> as <HR /> and <BR /> is, it seems, workable.
I'd very much like to hear that these anecdotes are true, and that
someone somewhere has undertaken a more comprehensive survey of browser
behaviour. I guess something like this must be going on in the
HTML-futures area -- if so a URL pointer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for any references,

Dan

c.f. http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/talks/pmr11/xml-dev/9810/0134.html