Request for review: DTD/XSDs for the Confluence Atlassian 4 storage format

From my earlier email:

> [I am] hoping to learn more. And I am prepared to publicly expose my
ignorance to do so

On that note...

I am a user of Atlassian Confluence, a commercial wiki product. I have no
other affiliation with Atlassian, (Okay, I'm Australian, too.)

Previous (3.x) versions of Confluence stored content in a wiki markup
format. The current version of Confluence (4) stores content in a
proprietary XML vocabulary that consists of:

- Elements and attributes that have the same names as a subset of elements
and attributes in XHTML 1.0 (mostly from XHTML 1.0 Strict, with a few
additional elements from XHTML 1.0 Transitional). Elements in the
Confluence XML vocabulary that have the same name as elements in XHTML 1.0
have a much more limited set of attributes than the XHTML 1.0 elements of
the same name.

- Proprietary elements and attributes

Some Confluence users have asked Atlassian to provide a schema (DTD, XSD,
or both) for this XML vocabulary. However, Atlassian has indicated that
providing a DTD/XSD is not high on its list of current priorities.

So, I have attempted to create the DTD/XSDs myself, based on a combination
of:

- The XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD (and a few snippets of Transitional)
- The documentation that Atlassian has provided (which falls far short of
the detail required to develop a DTD/XSD)

- Experimentation with the Confluence rich text editor (to exercise the
full range of markup that the editor can generate)

- "Forensic analysis" of the XML source of Atlassian's own Confluence
documentation (Atlassian publishes "exports" of their public
documentation, containing the XML source of over 4000 pages; so, a
reasonable-size test bucket) - xmllint was very useful here for automating
validation, and iteratively refining the constraints of the XSD/DTDs

I hope I'm not breaking any mailing list guidelines here (I don't think
so; I've just re-read them)...

I welcome feedback (constructive criticism) of these DTD/XSDs.

I'm not offering any money, so feel free to have fun at my expense by
flaming these files, and my questionable XML skills, to a cinder. Perhaps
a phoenix will rise from the ashes ;-).

You can download the package (a 30 KB .zip file) from:

http://www.amnet.net.au/~ghannington/confluence/confluence-schema.zip

For details, see the readme.html in the .zip.

I am aware that the tips in the readme on "Using a catalog, rather than
explicitly referring to the DTD/XSD in each document instance" are, at
best, incomplete... I'll fix this in the next couple of days, with thanks
to Liam for his recent advice (on this mailing list).

I hope that the above address will be a temporary home for this package; I
hope that Atlassian will soon either render the package obsolete by
providing their own - although I think that's unlikely, given its stated
priorities - or take ownership of this package.

Graham Hannington
Perth, Western Australia

Fundi Software Pty Ltd  2011  ABN 89 009 120 290