Re: [xml-dev] If I want to use catalogs for XSDs, must document instances contain a schemaLocation?

Jirka Kosek writes:

> Might be I'm not understanding you correctly Liam, but IMHO namespace
> URI is perfect way to *indirectly* say where the schema is located.

Indeed the W3C XML Schema specification says this explicitly [1]:

 The author of a document uses namespace declarations to indicate the
 intended interpretation of names appearing therein; it is possible
 but not guaranteed that a schema is retrievable via the namespace

> Good XML application support mapping file where namespace URI can be
> mapped to schema which should be used for validation. Graham should
> inspect his tool whether it provides such facility. In oXygen there is
> Document Type Association option for this, Emacs+nxml support
> locatingRules, NVDL can be used for this as well.

XSV supports RDDL at the namespace URI for this purpose, and gives
user control on whether namespace URIs are dereferenced or not.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#schema-loc
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk