Re: [xml-dev] "Introducing MicroXML, Part 1: Explore the basic principlesof MicroXML"

On 25/06/2012 14:10, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> Less academically, and more practically, when your browser receives
> a message which is unambiguously application/xml ie is transmitted
> with the http header Content-Type: application/xml, and there are
> @href values in it, regardless of namespace, they are not underlined.
> Why not?

The "regardless of namespace bit" isn't true in firefox at least which
renders xhtml as xhtml (including link semantics) if the xml elements
are in the xhtml namespace. (At least it did until recently haven't
checked on the latest builds)

Why _would_ you expect them to be underlined if the xml is not being
rendered? I certainly would not. If you send unknown xml to a browser it
is not styled _at all_ Why would you expect links to work as links if
headings are not working as headings and paragraphs are not working as
paragraphs?

If you associate a stylesheet with the xml via xml-stylesheet or another
means then you can make paragraphs be rendered as paragraphs and make
links be underlined. (If you use css rather than xsl I think you still
can't make the links be links but that's an issue for css)

David