Re: [xml-dev] newline/form feed valid as attribute value?

At 2012-07-02 20:48 +0200, Dan Shelton wrote:
>Does anyone here know whether newlines, form feed or vertical feed are
>valid within an attribute value (I hope not, otherwise it would make
>it a lot harder to write a fast xml parser using regex alone)?

A naked newline (or any other line ending sequence normalized to a
naked newline) in an attribute value is converted to a space:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#AVNormalize

Tab and carriage return are the only other control characters allowed
in XML 1.0:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#NT-Char

If you want all other control characters except NUL, use XML 1.1:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#NT-Char

For a client of mine who needed to feed a legacy print application I
had to write one of my stylesheet fragments in XML 1.1 in order to
get the control characters they needed:

   http://sportsmlt.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sportsmlt/2.0/support/sportsmlt2-character.xsl?revision=13&view=markup

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm