Re: [xml-dev] Micro-XML is now a proposed W3C group

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:

On 16/07/2012 17:10, David Lee wrote:
How do we "make this happen"
I've attempted to sign up as an individual contributor (trying to find
someone at $EMPLOYER to sign a contributor agreement has proved to be
hopeless) but I don't know if that will work.  I eventually gave up on
it the last time I tried to join a CG.

..
If John cant join a CG then something is really wrong with the W3C .

If John has a contract of employment that gives his employer automatic IP rights on any work he does, then it's entirely reasonable that W3C should ask for an assurance that his employer has waived those rights in respect of his contribution to this project; it's important that W3C's output carries no risk of potential IP claims from member companies.

I have to take the same problem into account when accepting source code contributions for Saxon; though I'm prepared to accept a declaration from the employee if necessary.

I think this is purely an operational issue. The W3C community process clearly says they *prefer* to have contributors have their employees sign, but if that's not possible they will accept individuals.

This came up once for me on a CG. I signed up as myself and I got a polite request to at least see if I could get an employer agreement, which I did. I'm pretty sure I'd still have been allowed in if I had not. I suspect John's earlier inquiries about joining individually might have just fallen through the cracks, which is why I thought Liam might be able to have a look-in.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net