RE: Why does my browser treat the XML Schema document at a URL asan XML document?

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the excellent responses.

On a separate but related issue, when I view this URL

http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd

in Internet Explorer, the XML is all smashed onto one line.

For example, consider the section for "Attribute lang"

Here's how it is displayed in IE:

Formal declaration in XSD source form

<xs:attribute name="lang"><xs:simpleType><xs:union memberTypes="xs:language"><xs:simpleType><xs:restriction base="xs:string"><xs:enumeration value=""/></xs:restriction></xs:simpleType></xs:union></xs:simpleType></xs:attribute>

Notice that the XML is all smashed onto one line.

Conversely, if I view the same URL in Firefox, the XML is nicely indented. Here's the same "Attribute lang" section displayed in Firefox:

Formal declaration in XSD source form

 <xs:attribute name="lang">

  <xs:simpleType>
   <xs:union memberTypes="xs:language">
    <xs:simpleType>
     <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
      <xs:enumeration value=""/>
     </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>
   </xs:union>
  </xs:simpleType>
 </xs:attribute>

Notice the XML is nicely indented.

Why is there such a difference in behavior?

I downloaded xml.xsd along with the stylesheet and generated the raw HTML:

              <h4>Formal declaration in XSD source form</h4><pre>

 &lt;xs:attribute name="space"&gt;

  &lt;xs:simpleType&gt;
   &lt;xs:restriction base="<span class="external-link diff-ns">xs:NCName</span>"&gt;
    &lt;xs:enumeration value="default"/&gt;
    &lt;xs:enumeration value="preserve"/&gt;
   &lt;/xs:restriction&gt;
  &lt;/xs:simpleType&gt;
 &lt;/xs:attribute&gt;</pre>

That appears to be okay. And when I drop that into an HTML document and display it in IE, it displays properly.

Any ideas on what is causing this odd behavior?

/Roger