OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]
Re: [xml-dev] What is the name of the text that surrounds markupin mixed content?

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 16:17 +0200, Martin Honnen wrote:
> Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> > This <Letter> element has mixed content:
> >
> > <Letter>
> >      This is to inform you that it is
> >      <em>urgent</em>
> >      you contact us regarding your eligibility.
> > </Letter>
> >
> > The <Letter> element has a child <em> element, which has text surrounding it.
> >
> > Is there an official name for the text that surrounds the child element(s) in mixed content? Is it just called the "surrounding text"?
> I would call those text nodes sibling nodes of the 'em' element node.

Once they have been parsed and processed into a node-based model of some
sort that's reasonable.

In the XML Information Set they are sequences of character information
items, but that's not a very usable phrase in normal conversation. So to
refer to the text in the marked-up XML document, "surrounding text" is
fine. To refer to the logical characters in the abstract XML document
you can use the infoset term, and to refer to the result of parsing into
nodes, call them text nodes, but there are other possible results of
parsing, of course.


Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Co-victim, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

News | XML in Industry | Calendar | XML Registry
Marketplace | Resources | MyXML.org | Sponsors | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1993-2007 XML.org. This site is hosted by OASIS