Re: Fw: [xml-dev] Which latest and greatest XML Standards Should IUse For XML-Grammar-Fortune?

Shlomi,

Thank you for this good observation.

Sometimes I fail to see that a message belongs to xml-dev, and not to
xsl-list which (the latter) doesn't require "reply-all" and always
sends any reply to the whole list.

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
> [...]
> XML-Grammar-Fortune?
>

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
>> 3. I have defined well-formed plaintext grammars for XML-Grammar-Fiction and
>> XML-Grammar-Screenplay (see the above link), which gets translated to the
>> custom XML grammars (and from there to other XMLs using XSLT), and I wonder
>> whether I can do the same for XML-Grammar-Fortune. Is there a good tool for
>> doing something like that with ease?
>
> More than four years ago I wrote  in pure XSLT 2.0 a general LR-1
> parser. It is table-driven. The parsing tables are generated with
> YACC, modified to output them as XML.
>
> Whenever a rule is recognized (a reduction needs to be prformed), the
> parser invokes a corresponding (xsl:) function, that has been provided
> to it as a parameter (XSLT 2.0 doesn't formally allow this, but this
> is done using FXSL (again written in pure XSLT 2.0).
>
> Therefore, one has to write the fonctions that the parser calls on
> each rule recognition) and these functions may generate anything that
> is desired (so, why not XSD?).
>

>> 4. Should I use XSLT 2.0 and/or XPath 2.0? Right now I prefer to use Perl 5
>> with the XML::LibXSLT CPAN module that is in turn based on libxslt from the
>> GNOME project, and from what I know, the only full open-source XSLT 2.0
>> implementation is Saxon, which is written in Java. There's
>> https://metacpan.org/module/Inline::Java but it may not work well (have not
>> tried).
>
> XSLT 2.0 is a gigantic leap forward from XSLT 1.0. The afore-mentioned
> parser is written in 200-300 lines of XSLT 2.0 and is readable and
> maintainable. If the same code was written in XSLT 1.0, it would
> require around five times more code and would present a formidable
> readability and maintainability issue.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Dimitre Novatchev
> ---------------------------------------
> Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
> ---------------------------------------
> To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk
> -------------------------------------
> Never fight an inanimate object
> -------------------------------------
> To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the
> biggest mistake of all
> ------------------------------------
> Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
> -------------------------------------
> You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what
> you're doing is work or play
> -------------------------------------
> Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
> Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they
> write all patents, too? :)
> I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev