Re: [dejavu-l] Another warning to those translating sdlxliff files

Dear colleagues,

As a translator/localizer with a special interest in XML, I am dismayed to learn that yet again an official standard (XLIFF) has been "highjacked" by a company which has turned it into a proprietary format. In 2003 (LRC conference, Limerick) I gave a presentation about the then emerging standard of XLIFF, and warned my then audience about certain pitfalls, one of them being that such a standard could be "corrupted" or used for the wrong purposes. During this presentation, I drew paralelles with RTF and the Microsoft-specific version of XSL (in answer to the open standard of XSLT).

In this particular case, it is sad that Atril/DVX and the users of this program (DVX2) have to suffer because a particular company (in this case, SDL) has decided to tweak not one, but two open standards (XML in general, and XLIFF in particular) to such an extent that the open character of the standard is no longer there. I also wonder if such a company has the right to do that. Perhaps the more legal-minded readers among you can dive into the various GNU licences governig the use of both XML and XLIFF.

But the fact remains that twisting an open standard into something that is not open any more and prevents us from doing our job is a practice which should be banned and punished. To draw more attention to this problem, I have CC-ed the XML developers list on this message. Perhaps we can get some answers there. Also, I know that Mr Paul Filkin of SDL is a regular reader of this list, and I am asking him to not only respond to this particular problem in question, but to also bring this to the attention of both the SDL Trados Studio developers and the SDL management team in order to have this practice ended.

The more I read about problems with sdlxliff, the less inclined I will be to ever use SDL Trados Studio. Which is why I still have not installed the Studio 2009 version...

With best regards,
Nico.
(Also, a former employee of SDL)