Re: [xml-dev] The purpose of a namespace URI is ...

I certainly agree that for minor version changes it would be far too
disruptive to change the namespace and this would somewhat defeat the
design goal of compatible change.

But isn't it usually the case that you would only change the namespace
for a MAJOR version change, and it is this explicit and deliberate
breaking change that you are signalling by doing so (ie. a significant
change of semantics and sometimes syntax).

Presumably the XSLT namespace hasn't changed because the primary
semantics have remained constant and the changes made have been
introduced in a backwards compatible way.

Fraser.