Re: [xml-dev] The purpose of a namespace URI is ...

I am a supporter of that approach, however I see real practical
problems because it makes assumptions or sets expetations about how a
message will or should be processed.

In a closed community you *might* be able to be more certain of that,
but outside of that it is probably unrealistic. My experience is that
even within the relatively controlled environment of messages passed
between internal applications there are a large variety of processing
approaches some of which are entirely incompatible with the way in
which we would prefer, and for consumers of messages outside of the
organisation, we really can't make any assumptions at all. Sure we can
construct an NDR but when that challenges the ability to do business,
you're never going to win that argument.

It's a hard question and in many ways is related to how we version
schemata, how (and if) we allow for non-author extensibility, whether
we prefer strong typing, how we might understand what are consumers
care about (aka: consumer driven contracts), validation by projection,
open content models vs. highly prescriptive (and possibly brittle)
types, ......

It seems every year I go round and around this one. Actually if XSD
1.1 were more widely used things might be a bit easier ... But then
again, I sometimes find myself telling my service designers colleagues
not to get too focused on XSD because of its lack of expressiveness or
because it's limitations tend to 'leak' into service specifications

Sorry I'm rambling ... I'll stop.