Re: [xml-dev] The purpose of a namespace URI is ...

I guess I'm using the notion/idea of Public Identifier as a unique
string and a string that has version information so I can identify
exactly what that document conforms to. I don't necessarily see that
as the same thing as the namespace identifier but that is the only
thing that the schema designers have given me to use.

In the previous message you pointed out attributes of the PI that I
know existed but I'm not sure anything ever used that for more than
identifying a DTD. PIs were probably needed in XML to preserve
documents that were SGML and only had PIs to identify them. They
could have easily been incorporated into Schema, but it wasn't so we
lost the functionality provided (versioning anyway, not everything
else you pointed out).

So currently I'm left with a mechanism that is overloaded and maybe
not adequate for all the uses. That then compounds with not having a
standard mechanism for supporting versioning that works in schemas
and catalogs that general applications can implement consistently.
Changing the URI is the only mechanism I have for managing this. I'd
welcome a standard mechanism for doing this, but I'm still left with
legacy schemas that I would have to deal with.

..dan

Danny Vint

Panoramic Photography
http://www.dvint.com