Re: [xml-dev] The purpose of a namespace URI is ...

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 01:26 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Liam R E Quin scripsit:
[...]
> > The XML spec also (indirectly) gives parsers license to use xml:base for
> > resolving system identifiers, for what it's worth.
>
> I believe that's incorrect.  The scope of xml:base is at most the root
> element, and DOCTYPE declarations are outside the root element.

[[
Unless otherwise provided by information outside the scope of this
specification (e.g. a special XML element type defined by a particular
DTD, or a processing instruction defined by a particular application
specification), relative URIs are relative to the location of the
resource within which the entity declaration occurs.
]]

I agree that the system identifier in the doctype decl. can't reasonably
be overriden by xml:base as xml:base is specified today. But other
system identifiers can be; public/system applies to all external
entities, of course.

I think we've wandered off topic a little, if there was a topic :)

Relative namespace URIs are of course discouraged.

Liam