RE: [xml-dev] Where does the XML specification discuss the character sequence '>' followed by the combining long solidus character (U+0308)?

At 2013-02-11 17:19 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>Hi Ken,
>
> > I don't see how NFC normalization would apply to
> > the markup characters.  Rather, I would think it
> > would apply only to the characters being marked
> > up.
>
>Okay good -- normalization never applies to markup, it only applies
>to content, and Unicode combining characters never combine with a
>base character that is markup. Where in the XML specification does it say that?

The start tag production indicates unambiguously that the markup end
is detected at the right angle bracket:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#NT-STag
    [40] STag ::= '<' Name (S Attribute)* S? '>'

... which would leave subsequent characters as data.

The only reference to NFC is in a non-normative annex and is related
to the suggested practice of expressing names of elements.

The specification is very explicit about what characters *in the
stream* form markup and, therefore, which are not markup.  The spec
says nothing about processing the Unicode characters before doing
markup detection ... why does it have to explicitly say it doesn't apply?

As I said ... I perceive normalization to be an application
processing task and not an XML processor's parsing task.  The spec
states which code-points are markup.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Apr 2013
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm