Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Quiz: How do you put a Euro sign in your data if your XML uses windows-1252 encoding and you use a numeric character reference?

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:55:45 -0300, "Timothy W. Cook"
 <timothywayne.cook@gmail.com> wrote:

>My questions is; Is there a use case or any
>good reason to use anything but UTF-8?

Two of them.  One is for CHM (MS HTML Help),
which requires MS Code Page encoding and
does not work with Unicode at all (though
the topics will appear to display correctly,
the search won't work).

The other is more marginal; for CJK Asian
languages, UTF-16 (or the DBCS encoding)
is more compact, 2 octets vs. 3 for most
characters.

Nonetheless, we use UTF-8 internally, and
only convert to another encoding when
required at the last possible point.

  <jeremy@omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/