Re: [xml-dev] Testing XML don't use xUnit

On 11 April 2013 07:37, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM, George Cristian Bina
> <george@oxygenxml.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ihe,
>>
>> People asked for a Schematron example that you think cannot be written as an
>> XPath only test then they wanted to show you the equivalent XPath for that.
>>
>> Basically, in Schematron you have
>>
>> rule/@context = XPath expression
>> assert/@test = XPath expression
>>
>> these can be written in XPath 2.0 as
>>
>> //(context)/test
>>
>> where context is the rule/@context expression and test is the assert/@test
>> expression.
>>
>> So, the challenge will be to come up with a Schematron example for which
>> someone cannot write an XPath equivalent. If you cannot provide such an
>> example then you should accept that they are equivalent, at least for your
>> use cases.
>>

> I am sorry I have no idea what that challenge has to do with what I
> have been illustrating.

You were trying to say my use of XPath/XQuery in unit tests was bad,
and to use Schematron instead:

"There is a ready made fix for this problem - write your assertions
with a tool that doesn't force you to expose your xpaths - Schematron.
This last point has been pretty much universally accepted and widely
known in the QA community since the turn of the millenium."

I can't help but smile reading that last sentence again - you could
call that a failed assertion.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com