RE: Probabilism (was Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML)

++1

DTDs are at about the right cost and complexity for what schemas do best:  protection from and of the humans.   The XML designers were good programmers but terrible sociologists.

The web is a design delimited by programmer-centrism in a society where programmers are required and loathed.  The paranoia is still quite evident.  XML Schema is a stellar example of how far things can go off the rails by trying to do too much with a single piece of technology in a multiverse of technologies applied in a pipeline.   Prescription is good where contracts have to enforce quality over several universes of technology and humans with multiple agendas both real and imagined.

Data?  What is that?

Texts:  I work with one of the more if not most complex DTDs.  The organizing unit is the work package.  Of the approximately 69 work packages specified, 27 are used with a noticeable frequency.  Of the 27, two are used most frequently by an order of 2.  Of these two, they share roughly 70 percent of the same markup types.   As a result, in systems where the style sheet and not the DTD control the real-time presentation and navigation, tagging to the wrong part of the subtree is easy and won’t be noticed unless someone (a human) actually inspects the tags because the determinant data is in the titles.

Far too often in the past the employer/employee (say personnel record) is used in these examples.   This is a trivial dataset being used to justify a very expensive decision.

The diseases are often ignorance, ego and self-importance.   No size fits all.  Some sizes fit most.

len