Re: [xml-dev] overlapping markup

Hello Oleg,

as the developer of XStandoff I'll try to answer your question.

Standoff annotation was a feasible option for annotating multiple or
overlapping markup, when XStandoff and its ancestor SGF was developed as
part of a project.
In addition, we wanted to use an XML-based solution, that is, without
any extra brackets (the solution you proposed reminds me of XConcur btw.).
There are of course other ways to describe parallel or overlapping
markup, such as pure LMNL's sawtooth syntax, or others (you may want to
have a look at the Balisage 2008 and 2009 papers for a list of techniques).

In my opinion, a key benefit of an XML-based solution is the possibility
to use all the XML-tools such as XML validators, XSLT, and XQuery (and
in fact, that was our main concern to choose the way we did).

Let me know, if you have further questions.

Regards,

Maik Stührenberg

--
Dr. Maik Stührenberg