Re: [xml-dev] Processing and Serialization of FIXED attributes

On 06/11/2013 04:47 AM, Jim Tivy wrote:
> The DITA XML DTD has a number of #FIXED declarations in the DTDs that
> imply fixed values for class attributes.
>
> When this is processed in SAX and serialized the DITA class
> attributes are also serialized.
>
> It would be cleaner, for future XML authors to not have to see these
> class attributes inlined into the XML document.
>
> Do XSLT or other serializers commonly take out FIXED attributes or
> does the infoset mark them so they are not serialized - or is the
> usual form to serialize these.

Some random weirdness recently caused a document I had been editing to
open in the next session with all the FIXED attributes replicated from
the DTD. This was DocBook, not DITA, but it was in Emacs with
psgml-mode, which has never done this before or since. It would
certainly be a PITA if this was a regular occurrence, especially with
classes of attributes that you might not actually be using at the time.

///Peter