Re: [xml-dev] Memorable quotes from Balisage 2013

On 8/11/13 8:30 PM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> So XML experts (I included) are bemoaning the reduced opportunities that
> are centered on XML expertise.  Well, guess what, there are no
> opportunities at all which are centered around JSON expertise.  We're
> lucky to have had our few years, and much of our grousing is just
> grass-is-greener misapprehension.

This is interesting.  The JSON "experts" I know - and there are many of
them - tend to be proud to be paid for their overall work in connecting
systems together rather than for their knowledge of JSON per se.  They
tend to point to the need to "know XML" as a disadvantage of XML.

If, in Tim Bray's terms, XML should fade into the background like ASCII,
then JSON has succeeded better at that fade than XML.

However, given my priorities, I'd rather not see it completely fade into
the background, and markup is a better fit for (most of) what I want to
do than JSON.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent (descendant of marginally imperialist Quebecois and
largely not imperialist Irish)