RE: [xml-dev] Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

Jim Says
---------
I don't know how to address the expectation gap with end users ... I
blame marketing (its both correct and adequate an excuse, its like
taking the fifth in the states).
--------

I dont think it's possible to address the expectation gap with end users without draconian intervention to stop innovation.
The same app that looked "Really Great" in 1995 looks like "Total Junk" today. (It looks "Sooo 1990s").  Even if it works
better and faster than the app today on 1/100th the hardware.

The same is true with all fashion I suppose.   We suffer from our own innovation.
Who would accept an old flip-phone as even "normal" once they got used to an iPhone or Android ?
Can you imagine buying a car today without AC , DVD player and power steering as atleast the bare minimum ?
And we wonder why medical costs keep going up ... since we dont die at 40 anymore from tooth infections and diarrhea.
60 years ago a bad leg would just get cut off, now we expect a robotic replacement.

As long as we keep showing end-users that its possible to have a better UX ... the more they will assume that is the bottom-line expectation.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org