From: David Lee [mailto:dlee@calldei.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:25 PM
To: Uche Ogbuji
Cc: Gareth Oakes; Peter Hunsberger; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] RE: document identity in xpath : was RE: [xml-dev] XPath and a continuous, uniform information space

- Uche

Err, the answer is bog simple.  There was no XQuery in the days of XPath and XSLT 1.0.  That was back when XML technologies were actually designed with sensible separation of concerns in mind.

-

You and are looking at the world through different glasses.

My shade of glasses sees a wonderful separation of concerns where the Venn diagram of processing languages intersect with XPath in the middle.

No longer are we shackled with only one XML processing language yet at the same time get to share an XML (well XDM) processing Expression language.

Well until XSLT/XPath 3 where they tossed ALMOST the entire XQuery  kitchen sink into XQuery ...

that took a few re-coloring of my glasses until I realized that the Venn diagram was unchanged except for scale.

-David