RE: XML Schema as a data modeling tool

Maybe someday somebody can create something like the “Whiteboard serialization format” able to store those nice models drawn on meetings, without the problems arose when become “represented” on a computer format (UML model, database schema, XML Schema or whatever). Meanwhile, XML Schema (or even DTD) has a lot of advantages, specially over DB modeling and the data shredding associated with normalization.

And the idea is not new, I found at least two books from 2011 and 2003 on the subject:

-          Web Data management by Serge Abiteboul et al. http://webdam.inria.fr/Jorge/?action="">

-          Modeling Business Objects with XML Schema by Berthold Daum http://books.google.com.co/books/about/Modeling_Business_Objects_With_Xml_Schem.html?id=RQVpeYV_lPwC&redir_esc=y

Another good example of data modeling on XML is HR-XML for Human Resources. As David Lee clarified, it is not modeled on XML Schema (neither UBL or HL7) but they are better represented on XML Schema than on SQL CREATE TABLE Statements.

Some lessons to learn:

-          Think abstract, act concrete: OASIS tried to create several “universal” models with no success (they had initiatives even for CRM). Although it would be nice to see something like that, for practical purposes your model for sure will be used only for your particular need, so don’t lose many time being “general-purpose”

-          Don’t fall in the trap of Code Lists represented as XML Schemas. It could be good for validating, but it’s not so practical for modeling.

-          Remember modeling is an abstraction process. Abstraction is about focusing on some details, while losing others. Our mind can’t get all the detail, neither XML Schema or any representation format.

For sure there isn’t not a wide community of XML Schema data modelers (mainly because we prefer the “well known” way over the “better” way) but maybe David Lee’s $EMPLOYEER could share their experience ;-).

Or maybe I’m wrong, but you can learn from mistakes too.

-          Bill