Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema as a data modeling tool

On 4 Oct 2013, at 15:45, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

Hi Michael,

I think you're being a bit unfair here.  I'd read that as "The introduction of the relational data model had invigorated the interest in Entity Relationship Modeling"....

Well I guess it's written from a US perspective, where ER modelling caught on rather later than in the UK (using Chen notation rather than crow's foot notation, and other differences like allowing relationships to have attributes). But I think it was the ANSI-SPARC 1975 report that stimulated interest in "conceptual modelling", it wasn't the move to relational database technology. Very few people outside academia were interested in relational databases in 1975.

Michael Kay
Saxonica