Re: [xml-dev] Argument: Software design is important, data designis not

Where data are concerned, context is not the primary thing.  Instead,
context is the *only* thing.  If the context is source code or
executable behavior, well, that's better than nothing at all.  But it's
not as useful as a clear and consistent commitment to a tagging
vocabulary, even if the vocabulary is not explicitly defined.  Source
code is oracular at best, and so is behavior at execution time.  A
vocabulary, though, is much simpler to grasp, and one's grasp of it is
much simpler to test.

Marshall McLuhan was right: "The medium is the message."  If your
message is software, fine.  If your message is data with potential
utility outside the scope of some specific software, then your message
is data, not software.  In the latter case, you'd better pay attention
to the message-y nature of the data.  Considered as a message, how
clear, compelling and consistent is it?  Consistency begins with
syntactic consistency, but it certainly doesn't end there.

If "what matters is giving consumers the information they need...", then
it must also matter how much it costs to do that.  It is easily
demonstrated that a given datum will not always be useful to consumers
in a single software context.  Therefore, either data must be re-used,
or the cost of developing data must be re-incurred.  If data must be
re-used, then there is a better way to re-use it than to begin by
scratching one's head over the intent that *may* be revealed by
examining someone else's source code (assuming you can even get it),  or
by examining the behavior of the running code (assuming it's still running).

Now, the problem with my argument about this is that it really doesn't
matter to anyone whose message is software, not data.  The "killer app"
myth, like many other forms of fundamentalism, refuses to die.  There
are always more young people willing to adopt it in favor of something
more challenging and more subtle.  Young people are impatient.

It's a question of context, really.  If one lives long enough, one
eventually discovers that one's gods have always turned out to be too
small.  The problem with the argument, Roger, is not that it's wrong;
it's that it limits its context to the region in which it's true.