Argument: Software design is important, data design is not

I've recently read a description of the Affordable Care Act system debacle that claims not enough attention was paid to data-driving the system of systems. To which I asked, "You mean it was object-oriented to death?" to which the reply was "Pretty much."

Not being familiar with the architecture chosen or the problems with the multitude of backend systems or how much authority the contractors had to enforce ICDs over the multiple systems, it seems to me that unless they were data-driving it, they were more than likely doomed to fail.

I grant the story of that particular debacle likely has many more twists and turns, but a decade or so after the promise that the web offered "frictionless commerce" was made, when we see a debacle of this scope, it's certainly worth knowing why it happened. If the claim made as stated above is true, then the argument presented in the Subject line is kaboshed by a compelling existence proof.

len