Re: [xml-dev] Lessons learned from the XML experiment

> [Personally, I wish people would stop fueling this notion of XML being too complex.]

One thing we have certainly learnt is that XML could have been even simpler without throwing away anything useful.

We know there are some things like whitespace, and namespaces, and XSD, and DOM APIs, that cause a lot of trouble, and we know these could have been done much better.

We know that the poor layering of the specs is the root cause of some of these complications, notably the fuzzy boundary between the "physical" and "logical" levels of XML, and the absence of a definitive data model.

Michael Kay
Saxonica