Re: [xml-dev] seduced by markup

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 10:07 +0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2013, at 04:48, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 12:58 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >> I've been trying to figure out why I so deeply loathe the programmers
> >> who regard markup as something to hide behind their tools, a mere
> >> lubricant to the conversations they would have had anyway.
> >
> > Gandhi suggested that we learn to love the sinner even when we hate
> > their sins. It's ironic that this is often attributed to Jesus.
> >

> Gandhi was quoting St Augustine.

Interesting, I hadn't known that. Although it's still not Jesus :-) and
on investigation "with love for the people and hatred of [their] sins"
is clearly the source and yet not the same as "hate the sin and not the
sinner".

But appropriate, as we're constructing, it seems, the City of Markup, by
analogy with De Civitate Dei contra Paganos...

Thanks,