Re: [xml-dev] XML -- information architect, JSON -- program objects,HTML -- Web browser, DOM -- unwieldy, XQuery -- straddle programming and info architecture

Hi Hans,

As one 'Nodeist' to another I have a different take on what is important. My vision is that when building systems the first option that is considered is a non-object-oriented one based largely on generic infrastructure. A system that is largely based on XML Technologies, but presented to users via appropriate interfaces so they can configure the infrastructure to their needs in a reasonably "fool-proof" manner.

If more than simple configuration is needed then programmers might be employed to write some XQuery code, but making use of the pipeline metaphor in which standard components are pieced together with custom components.

Then, if the behaviour of the required system is even more complex, it might be considered necessary to make use of an object-oriented language to build the system, but thinking of OO more in the way it was originally conceived, as a modelling tool to enable complex systems to be achievable within the limitations of human cognitive (conceptual/social/organisational) abilities.

In this vision, XML is an highly flexible hierachical and *generic* data-structure (its SGML roots?), which allows it to be processed using generic tools, based on the Path and Event concepts, that are language independant essentially.

To my mind these are two distinct approaches, each with particular strengths, but capable of co-existing and even complementing maybe (your take on it).

I can think of three reasons that this data-driven infrastructure ('XML-ish') approach might be good:
(1) Its likely to be significantly cheaper to implement, for the right kind of use.
(2) Its likely to allow system users, rather than programmers, to take a more active role in putting it together and maintaining it.
(3) It fits with the idea of data having a longer life than programs.

As some evidence of the logic of this viewpoint, I take the existence of things like rules-engines and workflow design tools in the OO world, that, to my mind, are more appropriate to the data-driven infra-structure approach.

Steve