RE: [xml-dev] How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable efficient application processing?

I argue that regardless of if the XML is for "data" or "documents" ( whos intersection is not the empty set, IMHO),

that in fact the XML model can be quite coupled to the application and may need transformations even if the data is generic or abstract.

A simple example.

Very frequently large datasets are stored in XML documents as horrendously large single documents with vast replication of one or more child elements like

<root>

   <data> ...

   <data> ...

    ... a million times over

</root>

This is very convenient for some applications but horrible for others.

For example this may produce a file simply too big to read into some applications or is non ideal for an XML Database.

But it may be ideal for streaming processing, file transfer and packaging.

Transforming this file into different formats (say for example splitting it into a million smaller docs) may be better for some applications.

Similarly simple transformations may help with some applications such as combining fields, moving attributes elements or visa-versa ...due to pecurlaritities

of the application.   You may even be able to translate "Proprietary Schema A" into "Universal Schema B" so that Application  B can read it.

So I conclude that it is not the case that universally "data XML" should tuned for a single application and not translated.

Not all applications (in both senses of the word) of Data are alike even if the underlying data is alike.

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org