RE: [xml-dev] if namespaces vanished

Funny I woke up thinking about this thread before I read it.

I think Toby's email prompted that thought:

"The war between complex and simple and re-use, leads  to componentization. Data Model components are in effect the sub-routines of data exchange. One big model or 10 component models...it is possible that the 10 components may be less efficient than the One True Model, but it is certain that when things change, it will be easier to drop one component, and to define and add another to the mix.

But of course, solving *that* or even better avoiding that evolutionary complexity leads back to namespaces, much despised on this list."

If namespaces disappeared, what would replace them, and not just on this list as a topic of Friday debate?  What is the problem that namespaces solve, and what would the replacement mechanism be?  I'm not sure I understand Toby's explanation above.

Attributes seem to have got along fine, more or less without namespaces.

And why should namespaces not be 'deprecated'?  If XML can get along without them, why does it not?  You can obviously design a vocabulary without involving namespaces.

Thanks
Peter Rushforth