  From:       "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>

  To:         "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>,

  Date:       11/24/2013 03:25 PM

  Subject:    [xml-dev] Binary versus Text

Hi Folks,

Distinguishing "text" versus "binary" is important.

On October 30 we had a discussion titled, "Is the binary file format dead?"

During that discussion John Cowan made an excellent distinction between
binary and text files. I thought it would be useful to summarize the
distinction.

The universe of computer files falls into two categories:

1. Binary files
2. Text files

By convention we normally restrict "binary" to files which are not
interpretable as streams of characters. [John Cowan]

The word "text" is applied to files which are interpretable as streams of
characters.

Of course any text file is also a binary file, since the class of text
files is obtained from the class of binary files by applying restrictions.
But it would be confusing to call a text file a binary file; it would be
like calling a cat a mammal: correct but imprecise.

/Roger