Re: [xml-dev] How to do XML design, per Jackson Structured Design

On 11/26/13 7:47 PM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com
<mailto:mike@saxonica.com>> wrote:
  One thing that Jackson misses, though, is that there can be multiple
  hierarchic views of the data: this doesn't apply to the indexed
  sequential files he was originally working with, nor (directly) to
  XML, but it does apply when you extend Jackson to other fields.

THIS! Just this! In the day job I spend a lot of time explaining to
people that too many mainstream systems try to organize information with
one hierarchy to rule them all, or even worse, they degenerate the one
hierarchy into a tabular form. In my experience, most real world bodies
of information have multiple possible hierarchical views, and an
enormous number of IT problems boil down to juggling the political
pressures of prioritizing one view of the data over another within an
organization, and with respect to different populations served by the
organization.
Agreed - THIS!

When organizations get past the initial XML culture shock issues (they don't always), this seems to be the largest long-term challenge. In many ways, it's what drives the quest for brittleness I've seen and heard about too many times.

It also seems to be what drives some folks to RDF, where hierarchies receive less worship.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/