Re: [xml-dev] XML As Fall Guy

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM, John Cowan <johnwcowan@gmail.com> wrote:
Long ago, I had the job, as an in-house team of one, of coming up with a recommendation for a corporate firewall, back when connecting a corporate intranet to the Internet was considered just barely thinkable.  I did the research and implemented the firewall.   My work was then discarded, and a huge team of outside consultants were brought in at enormous expense.  They recommended the same firewall I did and implemented it a second time.

I never found out what that was all about.  Perhaps there was a turf war going on over my head somewhere, and the point of the outside consultants was that they didn't work for any of the squabbling factions.  I just don't know.

Last year I persuaded a US client to allow me build a prototype of a secure healthcare  application incorporating the encryption and digital signatures of records as an XQuery/XForms web app running on eXist.

Ok it wasn't aesthetically pleasing on the eye as I am no UI guru but it had all the core functionality he wanted in a few hundred lines of XQuery. Functionally it  only lacked a user authentication system to determine who was allowed to see and edit unencrypted patient records because eXist didn't support XACML. To me  that was ok - as it could be bolted on as a discrete piece of work perhaps on a different platform more acclimated to supporting access control - this work had only been commissioned as a proof of concept.

The same week the PoC was completed using eXist's proprietary access control features, before even reviewing the final iteration  (and this was a client that had been very engaged the whole time)   the client abandoned it because a competitor brought out a system built on Oracle and Java.