Re: [xml-dev] In converting XML instance A to XML instance B, this property must be preserved: semantics

>The main aspect of the conversion is that the input has a property called semantics – its “meaning” – which must be preserved by the process.

It's all about layers. If you write a relay from IP to X.25, you know that you're only tampering with the message at one particular level of protocol. You preserve the semantics because you don't touch anything that has any bearing on the semantics.

>Haven’t we stated that XML doesn’t have semantics? If XML doesn’t have semantics, how can a conversion process preserve semantics?

You preserve semantics by only changing things that have no bearing on semantics. Like character encoding.

Michael Kay
Saxonica