Re: [xml-dev] Parsing XML with anything but

On 10/12/2013 10:14 am, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>On 12/9/13 6:48 PM, Gareth Oakes wrote:
>>I think you might have grabbed the wrong end of the stick. I don't posit
>> that other programmers are stupid. I don't posit that XML and regex's
>>are
>> dumb. My anecdote is only that, based on real life observations, and I
>>am
>> purposefully not applying any form of judgment.
>
>Condescension doesn't count as judgment?  You laid it on awfully thick -
>"some beginner course you googled up. You donšt have the inclination,
>patience or capability to fully understand your language of choice."

I don't see how that is condescending. It is a simple statement of fact,
based on observation. I myself fall into this category, when working on my
car, doing handyman stuff around the house, etc. Google and Youtube are
the saviours!

On the topic: who says that it is wrong to learn this way? It seems the
www exploded into popularity and usefulness exactly by this methodology -
you don't need to be a learned professional to be productive. That has
proven to be a very good thing.

>Of course, perhaps I'm oversensitive to XML folks not taking web
>developers and other programmers seriously

I am happy to overlook oversensitivity and I agree that web developers and
other programmers should be taken seriously.

-Gareth