Re: [xml-dev] Parsing XML with anything but

HI Stephen,

couple of points;  Sharepoint and it's ilk aren't really  in competition with "XML".  However, I guess your question is are there applications specific to XML that can't be as done as well some other way?  I do think that XSLT is perhaps the crown jewel in this regard, I too use it for AI type applications.  However, it also seems to be a perfect example of a powerful but hard to use  XML tool...

As for Cocoon, well I'm a Cocoon commiter and PMC member, so I obviously see some good points in it's favor, but... That project pretty much ran out of steam when it's founder took a position at MIT and went on to other things.  Cocoon 2 is a huge and complex beast that makes some things easy but at a cost of a high initial learning curve.  Cocoon 3 is a lot simpler but the ability to use XML to configure all aspects of it are forgone in favor of (very simple) Java  code which locks it away from the non Java coders.  If you need need XSLT pipelines with complex run time decisions on input, couping and serialization it's still a good solution and as a result it makes the AI type XSLT solutions a lot easier to build, but overall it's powerful but really hard to use!

Peter Hunsberger